Fall is by far my favorite time of the year. I love having the carefree/homework free time in the summer. But it is really nice to get some order back in the home. I love the cooler weather, the beautiful change of the season, and all the holidays to look forward to. Here are a few activities we had throughout this fall:
The first day of school was bittersweet. Some of the kids were more excited than others, although those not excited (Nathan) could still muster a smile for the camera. Anika started 1st grade this year, so it's just me and Calla home during the day. I love it....until I try to get all 3 kids to do their homework after school, while rushing around for sports, etc.
Calla just had to join in this picture.
We never got around to our yearly backyard summer camp out. We had to hurry and fit it in before the weather got too cold. Each kid gets to choose a game to play. S'mores and ghost stories are a must. This year we added a new tradition. We turned a lantern on outside the tent, and the kids had a great time making shadow puppets on the tent wall. I have a feeling this one will continue for years. Calla was pretty upset when she found out she was sleeping inside this year. Maybe next year we'll let her start sleeping outside.
The kids have been asking to go out on Grandpa's boat for a couple years now. We finally made it out this fall. Better late than never! They had a great time riding on the tube behind the boat. Anika fell in love with the ducks and seagulls. She found out that people hunt the ducks out by the lake. She now prays every night for the "duckies to not die."
Tanner earned his Wolf rank in Cub Scouts, along with five or six arrows. This boy loves his scouting.
We have been wanting new carpet since before we ever moved into our house. We finally got around to re-carpeting our entire upstairs. Before we got the carpet in, we decided to paint some walls. Our family room, master bedroom, and master bathroom ended up getting a new look. The kids loved "helping" us by climbing the ladder as high as they could. Calla has no fear! Yes, she is above the ceiling fan on our vaulted ceiling. About a week after we got our new carpet, our water heater in the basement burst and water got all under our pergo floor. Being wood, it had to be ripped out. Luckily our insurance covered it this time. So our playroom downstairs now has new carpet too.
It's been interesting just having Calla around during the day. She seems to get kind of bored without everyone around to play with. I've tried taking her to some parks. I think she is starting to enjoy all the attention. I haven't had just one kid at home during the day for nine years. I'm enjoying my time with her--although she gets into so much trouble I sometimes feel like if have 3 or 4 more there.
We always love the BYU homecoming parade. The kids love all the fun handouts. We came home with bags full of candy, a big beach ball, nerf balls, a frisbee, and free kids pizzas at Brick Oven.
As if we didn't have enough candy, we had to stop by the Cougar Eat for a famous BYU mint brownie.
It wouldn't be fall without playing in the leaves. The trees lining our back and side yard just keep growing, providing us with more and more leaves to play with...and clean up. Calla loved joining in this year.
I can't have fall without feeling gratitude. Enjoying the harvest. Our Heavenly Father's beautiful creations and the show they put on. Gathering the family back together after all the chaos. Preparing for the cold winter and realizing just how much we have and how much we are blessed.


No comments:
Post a Comment