Monday, October 17, 2011

TROUBLE

Calla has reached a very cute age. She understands most of what we say. She is great at following directions (much better than her older siblings!) and she watches everything we do. She idolizes her big sister Anika. Every chance she gets she is sneaking into her room and playing with all of her fun toys. While Anika was at school the other day Calla pointed to a princess dress in her closet. She was so thrilled to get to try it on and be a princess like her sister.

She found Anika's missing slippers (probably strategically placed by herself) and walked around the house so proud.

She has hit another stage that, though cute, is driving me crazy. She is TROUBLE. I don't know if it is a complex about being shorter than everyone else in the family, but she has to climb EVERYTHING. My other kids were active...but they were not climbers. I guess I lucked out up until this point. It doesn't matter what it is. If it will make her even an inch taller, she will be up on top of it. Some things are ok. I don't mind the climbing on top of an over turned laundry basket, or small step stool. Other things make me much more nervous.

It started with the bench in the mud room. Once she realized she could climb that, she was off discovering what else she could get up on.

The bathroom is a favorite. For a while she could climb up, but not down. Whenever she was missing, I automatically looked in the bathroom, and she was always there, stuck up on the step stool for who knows how long. She learned how to pull out the drain plug and eat it (gross!!!!) Then she learned how to turn on the water....but only the hot. Luckily she has only gone after the toilet paper once. But why would she waste her time on something at eye level?

The latest has been the kitchen table. That one is my fault. Every October I put glass pumpkin jars full of goldfish crackers and candy corns out on the table. Once Calla discovered the candy, she wasted no time figuring out how to climb up onto the chairs and onto the table. Now, even with the jars removed to get rid of any temptation, it is still her favorite place to be, just to see what else there is to get into.

This one makes me nervous. The stinker has no fear. What next? I feel like my life the last month or so has been taking her off the chair or table, walking 5 steps, and turning around and taking her off again!

2 comments:

mamasylvia said...

I feel your pain sweetheart - I remember going through the same thing with her mom (as well as all her mom's siblings)!! If it's any comfort, you survived. I'm sure she will too, but, yes ... it is EXHAUSTING for the mom! Good news is that this age passes quickly. Unfortunately, that's also the bad news;)

The Lund Family said...

I remember taking all of kitchen chairs and bar stools out of the kitchen some days! Or at least moving them a few feet from the table/counter. When Matt found Jackson's best climbing stool in our closet with the door shut (put away by me), he knew it had been one of those days... Good luck!