Sunday, July 31, 2011

Beattie Family Reunion

I have so many great memories of visiting my grandparents in Rexburg, Idaho. They have been gone for a long time, and those memories start to fade. So going back for a family reunion this past month really helped to bring those memories back. I can't believe I haven't been there for ten years!

Going back past my grandparents house triggered so many great memories. Where to start. My grandpa built the house himself, which makes it even more special. The backyard with the amazing garden and the best raspberries in the world. The fence around the garden with violets growing out of the cinder blocks. The fence of Lilac bushes. The shed with the pink door (which is still pink, but faded) with the bike inside to ride during the summer weeks we spent there each year. The endless popsicles and playing volleyball over the clothesline in the back yard. The kitchen with the fun plates and assortment of different glasses--I always liked the one with the flower painted on it. Perfect for drinking Rexburg water, which I thought was the best tasting water ever. Washing dishes after each meal, because my grandpa would only take the portable dishwasher out for Sunday. The prism hanging from the huge dining room window that would make rainbows throughout the kitchen. Playing cards with my parents and grandparents until late at night. Sleeping in the basement bedroom with all my siblings and never really sleeping. Getting into trouble for staying up so late giggling. My grandparent's bedroom with the view of downtown and the penny jar on their dresser. Getting to have my turn to sleep with them one night each visit. The basement with the cupboards where you could push the door to have it swing open, and all the games they kept inside. Roasting marshmallows in the fireplace. The family room with Grandpa's special massage recliner that we would spin circles in till we got sick. The built in planters lining the edge of the room with beautiful houseplants. Under the stairs with a stash of toys to play with. The garage with cupboards full of tools and the square windows on the side. Walking down the street and cutting through the ROTC to Ricks College and wandering the campus. I could go on and on. It's amazing what memories can come back to you just by looking at a house!


After taking the kids to see their house, we went over to the Rexburg temple, which I had never seen before.


The family reunion was from my Great Grandpa on down. So it was a huge group, with lots of people I didn't know.


I learned that the 100th section of the Doctrine and Covenants was revealed in my (I don't know how many greats) Grandparent's home. Here's a copy of it in Sidney Rigdon's handwriting.





We had the chance to visit my grandparent's graves. Calla was pretty happy to be there.







After the reunion my kids wanted to go to the sand dunes. They have never been to sand dunes before, and I have so many great memories of playing there each summer--and then heading to Green Canyon (natural hot springs) pool after. The kids had a great time. Calla, our little dare devil, loved sliding down huge hills on her bum. Even hesitant Anika was having a great time jumping down the big hills. I kind of forgot that going off the side of the road, even a few inches, can get you stuck. Minivans aren't the best thing to take out there, even when staying on the road. Yeah, we got stuck. I still haven't vaccumed out the van from all the sand coming in while trying to get unstuck.
















What better way to cool off and de-sand ourselves than swimming.


It was a great little weekend trip that I'm so glad we took. I loved that my kids got to know my grandparents a little bit, even if it was just through stories.


1 comment:

mamasylvia said...

Thanks for posting all this! It helps me to remember too:) And it's always nice to know that they were fun memories for you. I'm sure that your grandpa and grandma were watching - and happy to know that you're helping their great-grandkids get to know them:D