Thursday, November 11, 2010

Endless October

This month was packed full of activities. I was just itching to get out and take a vacation. I hadn't been out of the State in over 16 months, and I was just getting stir crazy. Fall break seemed like the perfect chance....until Jon ended up having to put in crazy hours at work. I ended up taking off with my Mom and the kids to visit my sister in San Diego. Jon wouldn't be home until really late every night, so why stick around?

Tanner has a fascination with sea animals right now, especially dolphins and whales. He has books about them, and he memorizes all sorts of facts. So we couldn't skip the chance to take him to Sea World. He was in heaven. He has now decided that he wants to be an Orca trainer when he grows up. It's a change from the Snowcone maker he wanted to be last month.
Nathan, Tanner, and my mom really got into petting the stingrays. Anika wouldn't go near them.
Every time I go to San Diego the weather is cold and rainy. What I wanted more than anything was to actually sit at the beach on a warm, sunny day. No such luck. Cold and rainy again. I've visited in February, April, June, and October, and hit the cold every time. I'm starting to believe that "Sunny San Diego" is a myth. That's okay, because we still got the chance to visit with my sister and her family, and we don't get to see them very often.
My kids won't pass up a chance to go to the beach, no matter what the weather. Even 0% body fat Nathan enjoyed himself despite the cold.
Anika LOVED looking for shells. We came home with enough to give away to friends, and still have a hundred or so to spare.
My brother Justin and his family joined us for a day at the beach. The kids had a great time in the sand.

Taking turns burying each other in the sand.
Calla's first time at the beach.
Tanner and my mom looked around for the biggest seaweed they could find.



The day before Tanner's birthday he came down with strep. We got him into the doctor and on antibiotics right away. He timed it perfectly. He hadn't been on his medicine long enough, and was still contagious for school, so he had to stay home. He felt fine, and enjoyed riding around the neighborhood on his new bike. Then by the time school was out, he had been on his medication long enough to not be contagious, so he was able to have his birthday party with his cousins. You can't time it better than that!

For Halloween Anika decided she wanted to be Princess Peach from Mario. She has a closet full of Disney Princess dresses, but didn't want to be any of them. I found out later she wanted to be Peach to get yet another new dress. She knows exactly how to work it.
Nathan was Mario for the 4th time. I asked him if he was sure that's what he wanted, and he assured me it was. On the day of the costume parade he informed me that he didn't really want to be Mario. At that point I refused to do a new costume for him--the mean mom that I am.

Tanner had his costume picked out the second he saw it in the store. But he refused to be called the Grim Reaper. It had to be "The Unknown Phantom". He tried it on every day for a month.
Aside from all the activity this month, we also made it into the doctor 14 times. 4 kids, 14 visits, that makes for an average of over 3 visits per kid in just 2 weeks. Stitches, strep, well child check-ups, Calla's testing, etc. I'm so grateful for good insurance, with a deductible that's already been met! I felt like I lived at the doctor for a while.

1 comment:

mamasylvia said...

Love (almost) all these pics. Fun times:-)