With school coming to a close, I realized there are a few little things I wanted to remember.
Tanner had a biography fair. Each kid picked a person to do a biography on, then did the research, made a presentation board, and dressed up like their person. Tanner has been so good at taking responsibility and working on things on his own--no help from me. I'm really proud of him for being so independent. I didn't even know this was going on until he had done a bunch of research on his own at school, and announced to me that he needed to have a costume for the fair, and some pictures (which I won't allow him to do by himself online.) Lucky for me, he had chosen Steve Irwin (surprise, surprise) and just needed a brown shirt and brown shorts. He did a great job.
Anika was so excited for her "Tacky the Penguin" play. Her teacher does this every year, and she remembered it from when she watched Tanner do it. It was really cute. When they got towards the end, she started acting really shy and looking at me every couple of seconds with a silly look on her face. I wondered why the change in her....until she ended up having to go up to Tacky (a boy penguin) and give him a hug. She was so embarrassed, and apparently was just dreading this part of the play, and how horrible it was going to be to have her mom video taping her HUGGING A BOY.
One Sunday when we were out of church early we decided to go walk around the temple before going to Nana and Grandpa's for dinner. Apparently the Mt. Timpanogos temple grounds are closed on Sundays. So we went to the Provo temple. I have such great memories of this temple! My Dad used to take us every Sunday to walk around the grounds and have a quick lesson (usually about not fighting, or helping our mom more) while my Mom got a little rest time. There were some trees on the North East corner of the grounds that we would always sit under. Then when the lesson was done we would always roll down the big hill, then go to the BYU stream and race sticks. So when we took our kids, I had to take them up to these trees (which is where we took this picture). It was so interesting to see how many missionaries were at the temple this Sunday. I know there was a big influx of missionaries, but there were seriously hundreds of them all socializing at the temple!
Calla has become a little fashion diva. She got a pair of rainbow sunglasses in her Easter basket, and they have become a favorite. She is so concerned about what she wears now. We have fights DAILY over what she will wear.
Striking a pose.
For Memorial Day we always go on a hike. This year we decided to go up Rock Canyon. We made it less than half a mile (not even off the rock path onto the dirt path) before Calla had a MAJOR melt down. She refused to go one step further. But she also refused to be carried. She wanted to plant herself right there and there was no changing her mind. We let the kids play on the rocks for a little bit, then I carried a squirming, screaming Calla back down the canyon. She finally insisted on running....which led to a trip, which led to a very cut up knee. Her trip to 7-Peaks that day was canceled. Jon took the rest of the kids to 7-Peaks, and I took Calla to my parents for a much needed nap.
Nathan's graduation. Does he really have to move on to Junior High? I'm not ready for this. But he seems to be thrilled to be moving on.
So here is the much anticipated last day of school.
Anika with Miss Braswell. She was a great teacher for her. Their personalities matched up so well.
Nathan and Miss Weathers. Probably not the best teacher for Nathan. I have to admit, she did a good job at helping him to organize himself better for Junior High.....but that's about all I can say good about her. Their personalities really didn't mix well, and I've never had a teacher say such rude things to me before. I thought they were supposed to at least pretend that they like your kid! We will leave it at that.
And, of course, the after school party. You can't miss that!
Nathan decided he was too big for this party, and joined in the 6th grade pool party at the Lehi outdoor pool.
Summer always comes with such mixed feelings. NO MORE HOMEWORK! More relaxed schedules....but can I handle all the fighting? Ready or not, here we come.
No comments:
Post a Comment