Thursday, February 28, 2013

A Change

With a new year upon us, I've decided to make a change.  This blog was meant to be my way of writing a family journal.  Knowing other people are reading, I tend to make it a little less personal than I would like.  I also tend to not blog unless I have some pictures to tell about.  Not any more.  Knowing that the kids love reading the yearly family blog books, I've decided to go back to my origional purpose.  To keep a family journal.
Of course, I will still post pictures.  That's the main reason the kids read the books.  And I love being able to remember what was going on in the pictures, rather than just have a printed picture to look at.  But I'll also try to post more often, picture or not.  I want to remember this time in our life (although some days I really wish I could forget!)
So here we go.  We'll see how well I keep up with this goal.

To start out, there are so many funny things my kids do that I just forget over the course of time (or a few hours).  I wrote some of them down in my phone to remember for future journal entries...and then the time slipped by.  So here are a few.

One night last month I finally had all the kids down in bed.  I let the boys do their 30 minutes of reading homework in bed because I want it to be something they enjoy doing, instead of just doing to get it done and go play with friends.  So Tanner was down reading.  I heard this loud moaning cry coming from the basement.  I went down to see what it was.  Tanner was in tears, so upset.  He was reading a book (he loves non-fiction) about ocean life.  It had a picture of a fishing boat with a bunch of very large tuna hanging up.  He thought that they were small whales, and was so upset that they were hunting whales and killing them.  The thought was so horrifying to him, with his love of whales.  I explained to him what they were and how he eats tuna sandwiches.  After that he was fine.

Calla is my little handfull.  You can't look away for two seconds without her getting into some sort of trouble. 
 
For example:  remembering not to draw on things other than paper.  This is her during her time out.
 
Another example:  Her preference to be without clothes.  It isn't unusual to see her pop out of a room naked.  She is pretty proud of it and sings her little song "I'm nakey Calla!"  She decided to come out this time covered in her bathroom hand towel--a little better than her usual complete nakedness.
 

Shopping has become a nightmare.  It has become a game for her to run and hide from me--in clothes racks, down different isles, etc.  If I try to carry her she thinks she has to hold on to the shopping cart handle, kick her legs back like she is flying, and have me hold her in that position and say "Super Calla!" to which she says "flying through the air" repeated 20 or more times.
A few cute things she has said lately:
When waiting for a car to back out in the parking lot:  "Come ON dude!"  I need to watch what I say when I drive.  I know I'm guilty of a lot more than this.
She came to me one day and out of the blue told me "Mommy, Jesus is in our house.  We just can't see him."
The other morning she came into my room and had no underwear on.  I asked her if she wet her pants during the night.  She looked at me and said "Mom, you're fired."  I was ready to be fired, just for the day.

So I guess that's a good first effort.  I promise I'm going to do much better at this!

No comments: