Saturday, April 23, 2011

Spring Break

Why is it that spring break never feels like Spring Break? Could it be that it usually snows and feels nothing like spring? Or maybe it is the "break" part that is deceiving. Where is my break? I did enjoy not having to get on the kids cases about doing their homework.

We managed to find a few days of somewhat decent weather.

Each year my mom takes each family of grandkids to the zoo. Even Nathan, who thinks he has to act tough, was pretty excited to go.

Before this first picture, I have to say that my mom NEVER voluntarily gets into pictures. I have no idea why. But I gave her a lecture about how my kids are going to want to look back at pictures of them WITH her at the zoo for memories. So here I am putting them up on a blog for all to see. Sorry Mom!

All my kids have been uninterested in the animals the first time they go to the zoo. I didn't expect much out of Calla. But she was so interested! She LOVED the monkeys....actually any type of primate that hung from a branch or jumped around. She giggled at the elephants, but couldn't care less about the giraffes. It was really fun to watch her.
Tanner's favorite animal for the longest time was the elephants. They have this huge statue of an elephant that he was scared to death of for years. I'm admitting to being a horrible mom here, but I used to be secretly entertained by watching him run toward the elephants so excited to see them, see the big statue, scream, and run the opposite direction. Obviously he has outgrown this....but I'll always have the memory.


Of course, Nana had to fill them up on lots of sugar.

Calla loved watching whatever this animal is. He was eating a piece of sweet potato. He would push it up against the glass trying to eat it, drop it, then work it's way up the glass again, over and over. Calla would wait till he would drop it, then try to pick it up through the glass. I think she was his entertainment.

Nana's favorite animals have always been the cats, especially the tigers. We just had to get this picture for the memories.
You can't go to the zoo without a ride on the train and carousel. The kids each picked their favorite animal. Then Nathan felt a little silly, and decided to ride on a bench with Calla.





I always knew I had a bunch of wild primates living in my house. Just take a look at the mess at the end of the day, and you will agree.
Proof that Calla had lots of fun. THANK YOU MOM!


Tuesday the weather decided to stay warm long enough for a trip to the park. Last summer Calla was too young to do anything. I think we are going to have to make lots of trips there this summer. She really loved the swings.
After a few minutes she wouldn't just lean back and enjoy the ride. She had to lean forward as far as she could, and stick her arms out like she was flying. She probably spent an hour in that swing.



The other kids thought it was pretty funny. They all had to do Calla impersonations.



Tanner, Nathan, and his friend Dallin made up a game called "bubblegum" which was basically a glorified version of keep away. Yes, Tanner was in the middle a lot of the time.

A proud girl that has learned how to pump on the swings.







Once again, proof that they had a fun, busy day.


Wednesday the kids slept over at Nana and Grandpa's. Thursday Jon had lasik surgery. He spent the day recovering, and I spent the day trying not to faint or throw up after listening to his description of the procedure. It was a bad idea for him to describe this to me as I drove him home on the freeway. I was seeing stars and wondering if we were even going to make it home.

Friday was going to be the tulip festival at Thanksgiving Point....but thanks to our wonderful "Spring" weather, the tulips were late coming out. The kids had a great day playing with friends instead.


Great break. Great memories. Great to be back in school. I'm excited to summer, but not quite ready for it yet.

1 comment:

mamasylvia said...

Fun times:P LOVE all the pictures ... except mine!! Also glad that my grandkids love the zoo:) Gives me the excuses I need to keep going;)